Friday, May 4, 2007

Clutch Adjustment Woes

Got stuck at Trader Joe's earlier, the kickstarter wouldn't budge. Got it loose by putting her in first, getting to a running start and letting the clutch out. That seemed to shake whatever it was loose.

Got her home and have been fiddling with the clutch cable. I can eliminate the clunk into first at a standstill, but then the clutch seems to slip under load. Eliminate the slip, and the clunk is back. Frustrating, but at least it fits with my understanding of clutch function. Too much slack in the cable leads to too much pressure from the springs and the clutch plates don't disengage without coaxing from the engine: clunk. Cable too tight, not enough pressure on plates: slip. I think I'll take the clunk for now because I can minimize it through conscious effort.

At one point I had the clutch cable way overtightened, and I thought that I snapped it as it suddenly went slack. But somehow it came back, not sure what happened. I think that I'd have better luck if I had more of an idea of what the screw on the outside of the case is doing with the clutch. I understand the cable, but not the screw. I have the feeling that once I do I'll probably deviate from the recommended "one quarter turn out from when it meets resistance."

1 comment:

  1. did you ever find out what the pop and clutch lever gettin stuck was? mine is doing that now.. please email me if you can and let me know.
    brentmaggard66@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete