Friday, May 25, 2007

15,350 Trip Report

Rode up across chrysopylae yesterday, heading up the 101. The uphill grade and headwinds brought my speed down to 45mph and I seriously doubted whether or not I could make it to Sonoma County. But in the end, she was the blue engine that could.

Rush-hour traffic allowed us to proceed at a more leisurely pace, and when the traffic thinned out I took to the back roads. Heading west on Lucas Valley road I was treated to more than ten miles of s-curves through cool redwood forests. Once I got out to the Nicasio Reservoir it opened up and I let her rip. She made sixty-five, but that seemed to be pushing it.

Symptoms

It seems that my carb adjustment to make the mixture richer had the desired effect. Even after prolonged periods at high speed she still accelerates through first and second just fine. Her idle speed does drop down to below 1k rpm though. If I'm coming up to a stop sign from a speed over 50mph, and I pull in the clutch and let her idle, she will die. Happened out at the reservoir yesterday, and again today on the way up to Santa Rosa. While that seems to make some sort of sense in my mind, I can't put my finger on why. Hopefully this carb rebuild will help.

To do today:
  • Oil change
  • Clutch cable adjustment
  • Brake cable adjustment
  • Carb rebuild
  • Plugs
Not sure in what order those will go. We'll see. Talking to Charlie yesterday while picking up the carb kits, he mentioned I should do my timing as well. So it looks like I'll be fucking with points and valves also.

Wish me luck. Hopefully she runs better and not worse after all this.

3 comments:

  1. God bless you man! great blog. im getting my 1970 red cb350 next week so i ll be looking into your blog some more.
    Thanks for putting in the time and effort
    DAvid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang,

    You have exactly the same symptoms I have on exactly the same bike. Runs well, but sometime.... it just doesn't. After high speed it will die at the light. Cleaned carbs and all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a an idle problem as well as backfiring and my carbs continually come off, assuming from the vibration. I can also tell the rubber boots are dry-rotted and almost certain this is the issue. Does anyone know where to pick up new boots and clamps?

    ReplyDelete