Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Oil Change Prep Work

Stopped by Charlie's to see about getting the o-ring and gasket that Clymer's says I need to replace when I clean out the oil filter as part of the oil change. He told me that I don't need them, as they only clean that out when a bike is in for major service. Seemed strange to me, but he knows better than I. Still plan on posting that to a forum or two and seeing if anyone agrees with it.

His oil recommendation boiled down to Castrol GTX (non-synth) 20-50. He said they use something that sounded like Spectre, but I can't remember the exact name. But for half the price he said Castrol would be fine.

I asked about checking the oil level, and he said that it should be done on the center stand (solves that question), with the dipstick unscrewed (Clymer's says the same thing), and the engine cold. She's outside cooling off on her center stand right now. This was my first time putting her up on the stand since I bought her. Not easy.

I also asked him about carb kits, which they do sell for $25, same as on eBay. But he said their kits had the wrong main jet, and that would be another $6, for $31 total per carb. A reasonable price to get it same-day from someone I trust. Going to read through the process again tonight and decide whether or not I'm going to do the carbs up in Santa Rosa this weekend. They need to get done, and it is a three day weekend, so I'll probably end up doing it.

Also possible candidates for the weekend: check/replace plugs, adjust brake cables, learn to adjust shocks for two people.

I asked Charlie about the missing after a long ride, but he said there were too many variables to figure that out without looking at the bike. Totally understandable, as he is running a business. I asked him how much it would cost to have them go through the bike, to which he replied approx. 2.5 hours at $75. Sounds reasonable, but I don't plan on it.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen what collects inside the filter/sludge trap of old Honda twins. Definitely clean it out regularly. I'd replace the o-ring, even if it looks ok.

    A bit of preventative maintenance never hurts. You can buy most of the gaskets and other bits from bikebandit.com .

    Glad to see another person building up a 350.

    Great blog, made any progress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there is no tool a 6mm bolt it screwed into that hole in order to push the filter cover off.

    ReplyDelete